Australian shepherd Overview
Australian Shepherd Information
|Other Name||Aussie or Little blue dog|
|Life Cycle||12-15 years|
|Character||Affectionate, Intelligent, Protective, Responsible, Active, Alert|
|Height||Male: 20-24 inches|
Female: 20-23 inches
Female: 40-60 pound
|Color||Black, Red, Merle, Blue, Tri-colors|
|Average price||600 US$|
|Good with Kids||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Child Friendly||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Cat Friendly||★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆|
|Dog Friendly||★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆|
|Trainability||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Shedding||★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆|
|Watchdog||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Intelligence||★ ★ ★ ★ ☆|
|Grooming||★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆|
|Popularity||★ ★ ★ ★ ☆|
|Adaptability||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
Australian shepherd are responsive, smart, independent, alert, loving, confident and bold with a great deal of endurance. If they not exercised properly it may challenge strongly their vigorously developed physical and mental activities, they may tend difficult to live with and to be frustrated. If sufficient and proper mental and physical stimulation is make provided they can be most dedicated, loyal and obedient human buddy. Australian Shepherds are wary of strangers having protective instinct. They may tend to strive for herding of small animals and children by nipping.
They are agile, lithe but a bit longer than their tallness. They are athlete with a medium sized build and bones. Their vigor and muscles are sufficient to do work throughout the day, with no sacrificing the pace and agility essential to deal with fastening livestock. Free and easy is the Gait of Australian Shepherds, it enables the dog to change pace and course instantaneously. Australian Shepherd have weather defiant double coat with straight to wavy medium texture and length. They are eager and intelligent with keen expression.
In spite of the name “Australian Shepherd” was originated in Western United State not in Australia round about era of Gold Rush in 1840 A.D. In original they were bred to herd livestock, remainder working dog breed by nature. In the mid of 20th century they got fame and popularity, and were favorite of cowboys and ranchers due to their best talent of herding, but up to 1991 they were not able to enter in Stud book of AKC. Their nickname is Aussie. Aussies have pleasure while have job to do. They can be outstanding family companion if have energy and intelligence channeled in dogs activities or sports.
Highly energetic Australian Shepherds need a great deal of attention and exercises; some may be easy going and clam. Aussies can enjoy while working, either practising tricks or learning, enjoying in any other mentally or physically involved activity or competing in dog agility. They may show cautious guarding and reserved behaviour. If they treated well they will be rewarding and loyal to master. Being a dog breed which is produced to serve on the ranch includes protection of their property and inclined to bark warnings about vicinity activity. They never tend to obsessive barking.
Australian Shepherds love to play having great intelligence and quick learner. An unexercised, neglected and bored Aussie may explore its own sports/games, jobs and activities, that to an owner having not time might appear to be hyperactivity, for example an Australian Shepherd may go from being relax to running at top pace for many “laps” around the home before turning to rest. With no amusement they can tend to be destructive.
Top 50 Dog Breeds
Pembroke Welsh Corgi
English Springer Spaniel
Bernese Mountain Dog
They are often called “Velcro Dogs” so they do well with a lot of human companionship; it is for their strong desire to always be around the owners and for their tendency to compose of extreme dedicated bonds with selective men.
With a range of working style they have a fame of highly intelligent and versatile stock dog. A well working Aussie may thoughtful, easy with its stock and too quick. The natural tendency of breed to adapt the situation and ponder for itself makes it and brilliant all around working dog. Perhaps, due to this reason they are mostly chosen to work odd livestock such as geese, ducks and rabbits that raised for commercial purposes.
Owner Should Know
- Aussies required daily intimately 30 to 60 minutes exercise, rather with high energy exercise like playing Frisbee. They required a hard job to do as well as agility, competing in herding and daily obedience training.
- If their requirement of mental and physical stimulation is not fulfilled properly Australian Shepherds may tend to be destructive.
- With a sudden fierceness Aussies may protect their family, and will alert bark to warn you if they feel or hear something strange.
- Tough Aussies have a repo as the dogs of country sides, but can do well in cities if have sufficient exercise and stimulation. They are not suitable dogs for an apartment. At least you should have a small fenced yard to help them to release their energy.
- Aussies required a confident and firm owner, if you have not a dog before the most correct choice may be the Australian Shepherd because they’re herding dog’s pushiness with livestock can carry over into the home with a timid or inexperience owner equally.
- They are average shedding dogs, coat of this herding dog requires regular maintenance, brushing once a week is better to avoid matting, and possible trimming to keep its look tidy.
- Australian Shepherds enjoy while family is accompany. They prefer to stick to their human pack closely. They never do well stuck in the backyard by themselves for long times.
West Highland White Terrier
Chesapeake Bay Retriever
Portuguese Water Dog
Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier