|Other Name||Smooth Collie|
|Life Cycle||13-15 years|
|Group||Herding, Cattle Dog|
|Character||Sociable, Active, Alert, Friendly, Intelligent, Responsible, Cheerful|
|Height||Male: 22-25 inches|
Female: 22-25 inches
Female: 36-60 pound
|Color||Blue Merle, Sable Merle, White, Sable, Tri-color|
|Average price||800 US$|
|Good with Kids||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Child Friendly||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Cat Friendly||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Dog Friendly||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Trainability||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Shedding||★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆|
|Watchdog||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Intelligence||★ ★ ★ ★ ☆|
|Grooming||★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆|
|Popularity||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Adaptability||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
A mild mannered friend to all, the Collie is devoted and gentle. Collie is a dog with a working background, so needs daily physical exercises and metal stimulation daily otherwise it may become anxious. Although, they are sometimes a bit stubborn but generally are intelligent, sensitive and eager to please. Some of Collies may bark a lot. In play, they may nip at heels.
Collies are lively, lithe, sturdy dog that combines strength, speed and beauty. Its gait suggests easy speed as well because the ability to alter speed and direction instantly, as required in herding dogs. The coat may be of 2 types, each with a soft, abundant undercoat. The outer coat of the sleek varieties are hard, short, and flat; that of the rough variety is straight, harsh, abundant and long, significantly on the mane and ruff. The collie’s expression is a very important hallmark of the breed, and depends upon the form and balance, moreover because the characteristics of the ears and eyes. It ought to be vivid, vigilant and intelligent — qualities accentuated by a reasonably refined head.
Collies have existed in Scotland and northern England as long as there are shepherds. For generations, Collies were used for herding cows and sheep, and their masters have not kept records of breed. In the nineteenth century—thanks to the interest of Queen Victoria and others—Collies became widespread pets, leading dog fanciers to discern. In 1886 “The collie Club of America” began, and to the present day in U.S, it ranks among the most well-liked breeds.
With a sweet temperament Collies are very quick, sharp minded and polite dogs. They are very easy to train; they’re very well having nice grasping power. Due to its friendly behavior and nature they can serve as outstanding family pets and herding dogs. Collies get well along other pets and animals. They are defensive for those, whom they loved, yet caring and possessive. Collies are whole heartedly dedicated to their owner. Beautiful companions of children are collie, besides being an amazing family pet.
They can be an obedient and delicate pet that merely likes to mess around particularly with children. They like enjoying games like tug of war hide and seek for. Collies are sensitive dogs. If at any point of time they have done something wrong then they must not be shown rude behavior by their master. What’s needed at that time is, to tell them what they were supposed to do, that they can understand. These dogs very social and like to be surrounded with people or with other animals. They shouldn’t be left alone, as they get bored easily.
Top 50 Dog Breeds
Collies need correct time and a focus of their master. These dogs become very happy and spirited when they get correct care and a focus of their master.
Collies are usually very cautious of strangers. These dogs like to bark at strangers who look suspicious and can behave violently at certain things. They’re always alert of everything happening around in their environment. Sometimes, they’ll bark an excessive amount of creating the situation uncomfortable so that they ought to be trained to bark less. The collie is typically quiet unless she contains a reason to bark. However, if she is left alone too typically or if she is bored, she’s going to bark excessively.
Owner Should Know
- This dog possess all terrier-like traits of barking and digging, early socialization would bring mild temperament in them by defining commands for stop barking.
- Rodents are not advised with Westies, as they would be the prey for dog, however multi-dog house is affordable but after socialization.
- They are well responsive to training, still demanding and hard in housebreak. Harsh behavior by hander is not appreciated at all.
- The breed is low shedder, grooming requirement is low, trimming and clipping twice a year is enough
- Daily walk of two rounds is that what this breed needs for their exercises.
- Apartment life is affordable if you accept barking and can company them for moderate walks. Further consider the patience of your neighbor against their woofing.
- They get along well with old dogs, young toddlers should be avoided for their company, as the dog tends to snappish when irritated.
- They suffer separation anxiety, however, you can manage your absence by providing radio play for them to put them engaged.
- Accept digging, provide a corner to dig otherwise your garden would be destroyed.
- Seek for reputed and trusted breeders or suppliers to get healthy puppies, ensure puppies are clinically checked and are disease free.