Dog Stomach Noises: Causes, Symptoms and Safe Remedies
Loud dog stomach noises might annoy you when you can’t sleep because of your dog’s endless tummy gurgling sounds that start after midnight and make you wonder if your dog has hunger pains or he’s sick and even worse… your dog may have bloody diarrhea you need to clean up on your carpet since he was unable to control his need to relieve himself during the night.
This article gives you 4 causes of your dog’s stomach noises so you can help relieve his discomfort and quiet down your dog’s tummy. Gurgling sounds in your dog’s tummy, called borborygmi, occurs normally when your dog digests his food.
4 Causes of Dog Stomach Noises
Here are 4 causes of your dog’s stomach noises:
- Hunger – Your dog’s stomach may make noises when he’s hungry. Gases in your dog’s tummy and gastrointestinal tract can create rumbling before meals or in the middle of the night when your dog has gone for hours without any food.
- Digestion – Your dog’s gastrointestinal tract breaks down his food after he eats his meals. This means that his food moves through his intestines which creates the noisy sounds related to gas in your dog’s stomach.
- Air – Stomach noises increase when your dog ingests a lot of air with his food or if your dog eats too quickly.
- Intestine – Dog stomach noises that come from your dog’s intestinal tract can be caused by parasites, swallowed foreign objects, or gastrointestinal diseases. More serious health issues like endocrine and metabolic disorders can also be the cause of your dog’s excessive stomach noises.
Symptoms of Your Dog’s Intestinal Problems
You should bring your dog to your veterinarian if he shows any of these symptoms along with around-the-clock stomach noises and an upset tummy.
- Abdominal pain
- Decreased appetite
- Hunched posture
- Mucus and blood in feces
4 Safe Remedies to Quiet Your Dog’s Stomach Noises
Choose 1 or more of these safe remedies to help relieve dog stomach noises.
- Bland diet – You can help relieve your dog’s tummy aches with a new bland diet approved by your veterinarian. Some examples include white rice with boiled chicken or banana baby food.
- Hydration – You can give your dog as much water as he will drink to help quiet down your dog’s stomach noises and keep him hydrated.
- Pumpkin – Canned pumpkin, a low-calorie food remedy, helps relieve your dog’s constipation and diarrhea because it has a high fiber content. Pumpkin contains vitamins A and C which helps your dog’s vision and boosts his immunity. You can give your small dog 1 teaspoon of canned, unsweetened pumpkin daily. Larger dogs can be given 1 tablespoon daily to relieve dog stomach noises.
- Massage – You can gently massage your dog’s stomach from front to back to help release his gas and relieve his upset tummy.
Now you know the 4 causes of your dog’s stomach noises, symptoms and 4 safe remedies to treat your dog’s condition. I hope you got value from this article so you can care for your dog with tummy aches and intestinal challenges.
Share this article with your friends and family so they understand what causes their dog’s stomach noises and how to recognize serious symptoms that require a vet visit. You can always depend on the best dog health strategies from enchentingpets.