Types of Dogs: 10 Popular Dogs With Health Issues
All types of dogs with lovable faces and personalities may try to win your heart, but you can easily fall in love with a breed that is more prone to diseases like cancer and arthritis, and these illnesses may result in unexpected stress to your life with high vet bills or even worse you may be faced with difficult decisions about your dog’s life.
This article points out the popular dog breeds that have serious health issues, other dog breeds that are prone to health problems and the dog breeds that have the least health conditions. After you’ve read this information you’ll be better prepared for the inevitable health challenges of your breed that may increase your dog health care bills and cause your dog to suffer as he ages.
10 Popular Types of Dogs with Health Issues
- Beagle – Known as a great family dog with a happy disposition, Beagles are prone to Cherry Eye, glaucoma, hip dysplasia and epilepsy.
- Boxer – Often described as loyal, energetic and affectionate, Boxers are prone to heart problems, eye problems that may result in retinal atrophy or progressive blindness and skin issues like warts and malignant tumors.
3. Bull Dog – A confident and tenacious breed, the popular Bull Dog is prone to eye problems related to their eyelid, hip and elbow dysplasia, osteosarcoma and may need expensive surgery to shorten their soft palate and enlarge their nostrils if your bull dog has trouble breathing.
4. Dachshund – Bred to hunt badgers, the independent and combative Dachshund is prone to seizures and teeth and gum problems, obesity and intervertebral disk disease which is a chronic and painful back problem for these types of dogs.
5. German Shepherd – Valued as intelligent, loyal family protectors, German Shepherds are prone to epilepsy, vision problems, digestive problems, hip dysplasia and degenerative myelopathy which is an incurable condition that causes progressive paralysis.
6. Golden Retriever – One of the friendliest people pleasers of all dogs, the Golden Retriever is prone to hip and elbow dysplasia, progressive retinal atrophy and lymphoma, a disease that causes immune system cancer.
7. Labrador Retriever – An eager to please friendly breed, Labs are prone to cataracts, hip dysplasia, patellar luxation and arthritis.
8. Poodles – Intelligent, loyal and great for people with animal allergies because these types of dogs shed very little. Poodles of all sizes are prone to retinal atrophy, mitral valve disease, epilepsy, hip dysplasia and auto-immune haemolytic anaemia which is a condition where your dog’s body destroys it’s own red blood cells.
9. Shih Tzu – Happy, alert and friendly, this little dog is prone to ear infections, Cherry Eye, tooth loss, obesity, patellar luxation and intervertebral disk disease due to their long back and short legs.
10. Yorkshire Terrier – Tiny and bold lovers of adventure, Yorkies may suffer from achondroplasia or dwarfism, Legg-Perthes, a disease of the hip joint and a serious liver condition called portacaval shunts.
Other Types of Dogs Susceptible to Serious Health Problems
- Chihuahua – luxation of the patella, difficulty breathing, hypoglycemia
- Doberman Pinscher – bloat, hepatitis, Von Willebrand’s disease – an inherited bleeding disorder, cancer
- English Setter – bloat, cataracts, hip dysplasia, congenital deafness, Von Willebrand’s disease, progressive retinal atrophy
- Great Dane – dilated cardiomyopathy, bloat and gastric torsion, cancer, hypothyroidism, and hip dysplasia
- Pug – elongated soft palate, risk of heatstroke, problems with breathing
- Rotweiller – bloat and gastric dilation, hip and elbow dysplasia, joint disease, bone cancer, immune system cancer, hypothyroidism
- Saint Bernard – diabetes, cataracts, Cherry Eye, bloat and gastric torsion, epilepsy, patellar luxation, osteosarcoma, elbow and hip dysplasia
- Shar Peis – rashes and mould in creases of wrinkled skin, hip and elbow dysplasia
8 Types of Dogs with the Least Number of Health Issues
- Border Collies
- English Springer Spaniel
- Lakeland Terrier
- Portuguese Podengo
- Shiba Inu
- Siberian Husky
This article provides you with a thorough list of types of dogs and their health issues which gives you the information you need before you choose your dog so you’ll be prepared for dog health care expenses instead of being shocked when you find out that your dog has a disease like diabetes or degenerative myelopathy.
Share this article with your family and friends so they are informed on health issues for many popular types of dogs before they choose their next puppy or rescue dog. You can expect the best dog health strategies from enchantingpets